Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Hooray for Hollywood! (Well, not quite...)

Well, I've finally arrived in sunny California. It was actually quite a pleasant trip, despite having to get up at 3:00 a.m yesterday morning, and getting pissed off at my cab service because they were retards and arrived 45 minutes later than they were supposed to. Kids, this is why you must always plan ahead a couple of hours!

Anyway, once I got to the airport everything was okay, until I found out that I was selected for a random "terrorism prevention" search. So I go through security, and they must have searched me and padded me over for what seemed like 15 minutes. The retard doing it obviously was getting a kick out of doing this. Then they went through my bags took everything out, and threw it around, threw away some of my toilietries, and then told me I was free to go. GREAT way to start my trip. Oh, yeah, they forgot to give me back my boarding pass....I had to ask for that back too, after the fact.

The actual plane ride was AMAZING! We flew on Virgin America, and the seating was so roomy and comfortable, and it was a smooth plane ride. I really enjoyed it. It made up for everything else. We were picked up at the airport by our tour bus, which is pretty cool. Our drivers are a husband and wife team - Kim and John, and they are so sweet! And they are from the South too, so that's a plus! After we had arrived after a 6 hour trip, and an hour and a half drive, we had to go to a tech rehearsal immediately after. I wasn't too bad of a rehearsal, however, it was VERY taxing after all was said and done. We primarily worked on scene changes, and important transitions during the show. Most characters didn't have to sing or anything, but I guess Nancy and Bumble weren't so lucky. I had to sing "Boy For Sale" while they did a transitional scene change, and Nancy had to sing "As Long As He Needs Me" a few times for the same reason. But we got through it, and we both sounded great to boot!

The theatre we are going to be playing in is great and has this nostalgic and historic feel and atmosphere....reminds me of the Weissman theatre from "Follies". But I got to go explore, and it was great! I will ALWAYS have my own dressing room, being that I am a principal / lead, and that is just amazing, because one thing I cannot stand is excess chatter and noise, and people aggravating me before a show. I need quiet, and unfortunately, with the past few shows I have done, I didn't get that, but now, I will! Thank you, GOD!

The set is very nice and functional and authentic looking. There is a huge bridge that serves as the London Bridge and other areas of London, and it is really VERY, VERY, high. I make my first entrance crossing over it, and it is pretty scary for me....but whatever! The things we do as actors! I know, I know....shut up...at least I am working, right! And I agree with you!!!

Lastly, I met with my costume designer, Maggie Barnett...and we tried on all of my costumes. Guys, I have a total of 6 costumes, and accessories. I think I am going to have a nervous breakdown. However, they all look fantastic, and I will be sure to post them as soon as I take pictures of them. I look great in them. LOVE my Bumble costume, and my "Who Will Buy" costume. I look smashing. And since I am also doubling up as ensemble in "Consider Yourself" and "Oom Pah Pah" I have a wonderful cockney costume too....brings back memories of my "My Fair Lady" days!

Anyway, I think I should end this post now, as not to bore you TOO much with details, but I will send an update soon! And update this particular post with pictures as well. Till then, to quote the character of Nancy, "Ta-ta you lot! "





P.S. Oh, by the way, I just have to quickly mention an amazing experience I had before I left last week. My Widow Corney (Stacie Johnsen) and I went to go see Gypsy last Thursday night. I needed to get a fix of Patti before I left....and we got student rush tickets for the front row with my old Penn State Student I.D. Thank god, I can apparently still pass for a college student. Anyway, our Assistant Choreographer, Steve, plays "L.A." one of the featured, and hilarious "farmboys" in the show. When we mentioned to him that we were seeing the show, he was so curious about our exact seating. Well, when we watched the show, it was quite clear why! Ms. Lupone, and Ms. Benanti had a wonderful time singing to Mr. and Mrs. Bumble in the audience that night. Ms. LuPone sang part of "Some People" to Stacie and I and she sang my favorite parts of the song to us at the end as well...."Good-BYEEEEEEEE to blueberry PIEEEEEEE" and "Well, they can stay and ROT....but not ROOOOOOOOOOOOSE!" Um, needless to say, I was in HEAVEN, and almost cried and broke into giddy girl like hysterics. Furthermore, Laura Benanti sang "Little Lamb" right in front of us, and we got to see her masterful portrayal right up front. And lastly, but not least....the cherry on the sundae....Laura Benanti looked right at me, and winked at me, during the Strip.......I almost melted into a puddle! It was amazing. Definitely an experience I will always treasure. Steve, if you had anything to do with this, thank you! You are amazing!


Anyway, now I am going to go for real now! Later!






No comments: